Have you ever heard of the term “toxic mold”? If so, you may get a mental picture of the image above. Mold is unsightly, particularly after water has damaged a structure. However, it is not exactly the mold that is the problem—at least not in regards to your health. At Superior Restoration, we fix unhealthy mold-damaged homes and businesses throughout San Diego County. When addressing toxic mold, it is best to understand what it is.
Mycotoxins and Toxic Mold
The term toxic mold is a bit misunderstood. Some molds can release mycotoxins into the air. When we are in the process of handling a water damage restoration job, we test the area for its level of mycotoxins. If they are present, we’ll need to take a few more precautions for safety.
Mycotoxins are, by scientific definition, secondary metabolites that funguses create. They have the capability to cause disease in animals in humans. In some cases, mycotoxins can be deadly. Allergy sufferers are especially affected by these airborne substances. The difficulty with removing mycotoxins is that they are extremely small. Being a size of only 0.1 microns (or smaller), mycotoxins require certain methods and equipment to extract and capture them. Hence, it is always the best protocol to have a professional remove toxic mold.
Identifying dangerous molds is commonly done by color identification. Black mold tends to be responsible for the most dangerous forms of mycotoxins to humans and animals. Its toxins can affect the skin and impair the lung functions. Typical symptoms of being in a black mold environment include:
- Breathing difficulties
- Skin Rashes
- Nasal infections
- Itchy skin
- Irritated eyes
If you feel that you may have black mold in your home, you should contact us as soon as possible. It is also best to stay away from your home until the mold is removed.